Skip to main content

Fabulous Friday Frivolity.

And it's that time again! My five happy things for the week are as follows:

1. Seems like a silly thing to get so happy over, but it turns out there's a tiny little postage stamp of a garden at our office building. Surrounded by fairly well established hydrangeas, it boasts a garden bench and a picnic table. The grass is dotted with tiny daisies, and it gets a good amount of sun in the afternoons. It has become THE place to be at lunchtime, gets us outside and away from computers, and it makes such a difference to the rest of the day. A haven at Heathrow Express, if you will.


2. I've been dying to get a massage for ages now, it's been months since the last, and in general discussion early in the week a girl in the office mentioned that there was a spa behind our building, so we wandered over to check it out. Turns out that it's not only a (very) well appointed little spa, it's a bite-sized gym as well. It's got a Fastlane pool, the sort that's very small but creates a current against which to swim, and a sauna, and all the machines I'd ever have the inclination to use. Even better, the lady that runs the place said that as we work so close, she'd give us ten percent off anything (massage, gym membership, anything!), and we could do a month at a time on the gym instead of having to sign our lives away for the next two years as most gyms require. The workmate that took me down wants to join for a month and try it out, we could go over at lunchtimes for a quick swim, and if it's both of us going there's accountability and we're more likely to go. Can't wait to get in that pool!

3. In the kerfuffle surrounding my hurty foot, a piece of fairly startling (but at the same time, not so much) news came to light. I've been diagnosed as hypermobile. I grew up calling it double jointed, thought it was cool that my thumbs could go flat against my forearms, and used my extreme flexibility to show off at karate and at yoga. Now that I realise it's not only not natural, but potentially harmful to my longevity as a mobile person to continue contorting myself, I can take better care of things as they are now. It's got me taking my supplements again, gelatine and fish oil, one a day multivitamins, the lot, and I'm feeling better already. Clearheaded and alert are the order of the day. This may not sound like a happy thing, being diagnosed with what is essentially a life-altering condition, but at least I know about it now and can be more careful. Knowing is half the battle, a reference which may or may not be lost on you depending on your year of birth and in which country you were spawned. *grin*


4.The Etsy thing is rolling ahead at a slightly alarming pace. The girls in the office are chomping at the bit to get their mitts on my shop address, and as soon as I get the logo and banner sorted out with my sister's design mate, we're good to go. I've ordered shipping boxes, tissue in which to wrap the goodies, and yet more supplies as I'd begun to run out...! This Saturday will be spent crafting to my heart's content. Now if only I could figure out how to stop the moggies attempting to eat my feather stash...


5. I've saved the best one for last. A girl in the office came to my desk on Tuesday with a pair of concert tickets in her hand. I asked what they were, and she said "oh, they're to see Paul McCartney on Sunday, but I can't go now, do you want them?" Sorry, do I want them? Uh, yeah, I want them. Sunday afternoon, Hard Rock Calling in Hyde Park, Paul McCartney supported by Crosby, Stills and Nash, Crowded House, and Elvis Costello. For free, at the last minute. Awesome. Those are the kinds of surprises I'm totally behind. I have to pay it forward now, will be keeping my eye out for potential happy-making acts.

Go on, check it out. *grin*

http://www.hardrockcalling.co.uk/news/index.aspx?aid=50bc7296-60e4-464e-a88c-9df7acd4aab1

So, all told, it's been a decent week. Hope it's been the same (or better) for you all. x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The real deal.

So, I thought I'd been having cravings for the last couple of weeks because I've been eating loads of tuna and pasta, seemed like that was all I wanted to eat. Tuna sandwiches with a cup of tomato soup to dip them in, and egg noodle pasta for some reason. That is, until Monday night. Monday night, Himself called me on his way home from work as usual and asked if we needed anything (again, as usual). I said no, that I'd already been to the store but I wasn't really hungry anyway, and that I'd see him when he got home. I settled in with the cats on the couch and started flicking channels, getting the girlie TV out of the way so that Himself wouldn't have to suffer through it when he got home... Half an hour later, it struck. All of a sudden, out of the blue, I was starving. It wasn't the usual "go rifle through the kitchen until I happen upon something that looks edible" hunger. It was specific, overpowering, CRAVING hunger. What did I want,

Lazy weekend.

Bliss. Sun, moglets, sun, loads of good food, sun, and Himself. Good combo, let me tell you. We let the moggies out sans leads for the first time on Thursday (sporting their new collars and tags, and freshly dosed with flea drops), just for about an hour to see how they handled it. Both of them tore headlong into the flowerbeds in search of new smells and the occasional bug to eat. On Friday I left the back doors of the conservatory flung open to let the seriously amazing weather in and the felines out. This turned into me sitting in the conservatory for longer than I'd care to admit, book discarded to one side because watching them chase bees, butterflies and each other was more amusing. Saturday morning dawned clear and sunny, so I hied myself down to the conservatory (as I woke up around half six and thought Himself might rather sleep a LITTLE longer...) for a bowl of muesli, a cup of peppermint tea, some reading and yet more book neglecting as I watched the lunatics conti

Dreams and other nocturnal habits.

I've always been a dreamer, in the literal sense. From a very young age I've been able to remember my dreams, and once I started a dream one night and finished it the next. This sounds great, and I've had some seriously fabulous nocturnal journeys through time and space, but on the flip side, not all dreams are good ones. I've had some proper toe-curling nightmares, and some of the worst ones have been in my adult years. The reason this is on my mind particularly right now is that I had a pretty gnarly one night before last, and during yesterday's aforementioned pestering phone call to my sister I told her about it. She told me that her boyfriend had been doing a little reading about dreams in general, and had researched (and actually put into practice) a tactic of dreaming deliberately. The research he found described the way to consciously go to sleep with a certain event or setting in mind, which basically ensures where your dreams will go. Apparently this