Skip to main content

Momster.


I'm not proud of myself.  Sometimes I melt down.  Friday morning was one of those times.

I've been trying on and off to lose some weight since I had Madam.  Depending upon various circumstances (trips to Texas, market prep, once a month hormonal chocolate ingestion, etc) it's ebbed and flowed.  I went to an Aquafit class last week, and that was really fun, so I decided to do that once a week supplemented by a workout dvd I ordered that boasts a fifteen minute run time.  Fifteen minutes, I thought glibly, I can manage fifteen minutes!

My rosy red rear end.

About three minutes into the workout (read, had just about managed the warmup) I had already had to stop at various points to handle the following:
  • Two booger extractions from Madam's blocked nostrils
  • One removal of New Kid from the kitchen due to removal of the grate under the fridge
  • One removal of New Kid from the kitchen due to attempts to change the washing machine settings
  • Multiple footing changes due to inadvertently having started a game of "who can go between Mom's legs the fastest"
At this point, I lost it.  I mean, I really lost it.  This attempt to work out was perhaps poorly timed, as the two weeks before had been really difficult for me.  It seemed like everyone on the planet needed something from me, and they needed me to invest emotionally.  By the time Friday rolled around, I was tapped out.  Scraping the bottom.  Thus, the meltdown.

I shouted.  I swore a little.  I shoved a princess DVD into the player and stormed upstairs to have a shower, informing Madam that her appearance upstairs would be met with immediate extermination.  (She spent the next half hour apologising for getting in my way.  Ouch.)

I'm cringing as I type this.  I guess the main reason I'm sharing is so that no matter how together I seem on the outside, and I've been accused of looking like I have everything under control by more than one person, the proof is there (in writing, no less) that yours truly loses it just like everybody.  Spectacularly, in this particular instance.

The moral of the story?  Working out isn't always good for you.  Maybe leave it until the kids start school.  Or uni.  Whichever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The real deal.

So, I thought I'd been having cravings for the last couple of weeks because I've been eating loads of tuna and pasta, seemed like that was all I wanted to eat. Tuna sandwiches with a cup of tomato soup to dip them in, and egg noodle pasta for some reason. That is, until Monday night. Monday night, Himself called me on his way home from work as usual and asked if we needed anything (again, as usual). I said no, that I'd already been to the store but I wasn't really hungry anyway, and that I'd see him when he got home. I settled in with the cats on the couch and started flicking channels, getting the girlie TV out of the way so that Himself wouldn't have to suffer through it when he got home... Half an hour later, it struck. All of a sudden, out of the blue, I was starving. It wasn't the usual "go rifle through the kitchen until I happen upon something that looks edible" hunger. It was specific, overpowering, CRAVING hunger. What did I want,

Lazy weekend.

Bliss. Sun, moglets, sun, loads of good food, sun, and Himself. Good combo, let me tell you. We let the moggies out sans leads for the first time on Thursday (sporting their new collars and tags, and freshly dosed with flea drops), just for about an hour to see how they handled it. Both of them tore headlong into the flowerbeds in search of new smells and the occasional bug to eat. On Friday I left the back doors of the conservatory flung open to let the seriously amazing weather in and the felines out. This turned into me sitting in the conservatory for longer than I'd care to admit, book discarded to one side because watching them chase bees, butterflies and each other was more amusing. Saturday morning dawned clear and sunny, so I hied myself down to the conservatory (as I woke up around half six and thought Himself might rather sleep a LITTLE longer...) for a bowl of muesli, a cup of peppermint tea, some reading and yet more book neglecting as I watched the lunatics conti

Dreams and other nocturnal habits.

I've always been a dreamer, in the literal sense. From a very young age I've been able to remember my dreams, and once I started a dream one night and finished it the next. This sounds great, and I've had some seriously fabulous nocturnal journeys through time and space, but on the flip side, not all dreams are good ones. I've had some proper toe-curling nightmares, and some of the worst ones have been in my adult years. The reason this is on my mind particularly right now is that I had a pretty gnarly one night before last, and during yesterday's aforementioned pestering phone call to my sister I told her about it. She told me that her boyfriend had been doing a little reading about dreams in general, and had researched (and actually put into practice) a tactic of dreaming deliberately. The research he found described the way to consciously go to sleep with a certain event or setting in mind, which basically ensures where your dreams will go. Apparently this