Skip to main content

Magic food, insomnia and seeing red.

So, nausea sucks. Luckily (please, touch wood on my behalf RIGHT NOW) it seems to be tapering off. Bad timing, considering that I sort of quit/sort of got sacked from my temp job last week. Let me explain...

The "office" was actually a donated shop front in a local shopping centre here in Uxbridge. Seeing as how I was working for a charity, you can't really complain about the surroundings. So, the one thing about this "office" is that it didn't have a door, it was just the gate that pulls down out of the ceiling. Which means every smell passing that gate wafts into the room. Which means the cafe next to the butcher across the hall had combined smells seemingly simply to make me urp. It had me running for the ladies a little too often for me to be a reliable employee, so the charity and I had to part ways.

Anyway, I've been home again for a week, which sounds fab and all, but I have a significant amount of guilt about not working, which added to feeling gross makes for not a super happy Gabs. Believe me when I say that guilt is completely self-inflicted, Himself has been beyond supportive during this whole process. I just had it in my head that the job with the charity was going to be through the end of March, so it was hard to walk away from it after only a month.

Meh. I need to accept that I can't control everything. A prime example of this particular principle would be the call I received yesterday from my doctor's surgery. I gave blood on Sunday, six vials of blood to be precise, for the required pregnancy blood tests they needed to run for my iron levels and the probability of Downs, etc. There had been a "mix up" with the phlebotomy department, and I have to go in and have more blood drawn. Considering that the first time I almost passed out (and I'm not exactly a natural fainter, mind you) I'm not really looking forward to it. And I'm annoyed that they won't tell me what happened to the first six vials they took other than a "mix up". So I'm going on Friday to give another six vials, let's hope I don't look like a raisin by the end of it.

That said, I can control the colour of my hair. *grin* DON'T WORRY MIMS, it's only semi-permanent. I'm just getting so bored with the length while it grows out, I was starting to go slightly more mental than usual. So, red it is.


So that we end on a really positive (and slightly amusing) note, yesterday was fab. I went into town to meet Himself for lunch, but there was an ulterior motive for the trip. That's right, ladies and gents, my regular jeans are simply too uncomfortable to be borne anymore, and maternity jeans were high on my list. That said, apparently all pregnant people are short. Well, maybe not, but from the few pairs I managed to find locally in Uxbridge, you'd think I'm freakishly tall. Think preparing for a flood. A big one.

So, I needed more variety and bigger shops. This meant central London. SO, I packed a book and a few apples and headed into town. I met Himself at my favourite restaurant in the universe, ordered my single favourite meal in the universe, fell on it like I hadn't eaten in weeks, and spent the rest of the afternoon bouncing off walls because I felt... wait for it... NO NAUSEA AT ALL. Magic food! The place? Joy, in Soho. The food? This incredible mix of Mexican wrap with falafel and the most gorgeous salad with balsamic dressing. Mmmmmm. I could eat it right now. I mean, RIGHT NOW. *drool* Awesome.

I headed from there to buy fat lady... I mean, pregnant lady... jeans. I tried on pair after pair, most of them were the flood variety, and then finally ended up in Next (which Himself's sister swears by). I narrowed it down to three pairs, chose one, took them to the till, and guess what! On sale. That's right, they cost me £8. This, of course, meant that I could afford to buy a few bath bombs from Lush and some Cinnabon. Again, *drool*. All in all, a good day. Now, I think I'll go eat a Cinnabon. While I'm wearing my pregnancy jeans. It's like a self fulfilling prophecy. *smug*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The real deal.

So, I thought I'd been having cravings for the last couple of weeks because I've been eating loads of tuna and pasta, seemed like that was all I wanted to eat. Tuna sandwiches with a cup of tomato soup to dip them in, and egg noodle pasta for some reason. That is, until Monday night. Monday night, Himself called me on his way home from work as usual and asked if we needed anything (again, as usual). I said no, that I'd already been to the store but I wasn't really hungry anyway, and that I'd see him when he got home. I settled in with the cats on the couch and started flicking channels, getting the girlie TV out of the way so that Himself wouldn't have to suffer through it when he got home... Half an hour later, it struck. All of a sudden, out of the blue, I was starving. It wasn't the usual "go rifle through the kitchen until I happen upon something that looks edible" hunger. It was specific, overpowering, CRAVING hunger. What did I want,

Lazy weekend.

Bliss. Sun, moglets, sun, loads of good food, sun, and Himself. Good combo, let me tell you. We let the moggies out sans leads for the first time on Thursday (sporting their new collars and tags, and freshly dosed with flea drops), just for about an hour to see how they handled it. Both of them tore headlong into the flowerbeds in search of new smells and the occasional bug to eat. On Friday I left the back doors of the conservatory flung open to let the seriously amazing weather in and the felines out. This turned into me sitting in the conservatory for longer than I'd care to admit, book discarded to one side because watching them chase bees, butterflies and each other was more amusing. Saturday morning dawned clear and sunny, so I hied myself down to the conservatory (as I woke up around half six and thought Himself might rather sleep a LITTLE longer...) for a bowl of muesli, a cup of peppermint tea, some reading and yet more book neglecting as I watched the lunatics conti

Dreams and other nocturnal habits.

I've always been a dreamer, in the literal sense. From a very young age I've been able to remember my dreams, and once I started a dream one night and finished it the next. This sounds great, and I've had some seriously fabulous nocturnal journeys through time and space, but on the flip side, not all dreams are good ones. I've had some proper toe-curling nightmares, and some of the worst ones have been in my adult years. The reason this is on my mind particularly right now is that I had a pretty gnarly one night before last, and during yesterday's aforementioned pestering phone call to my sister I told her about it. She told me that her boyfriend had been doing a little reading about dreams in general, and had researched (and actually put into practice) a tactic of dreaming deliberately. The research he found described the way to consciously go to sleep with a certain event or setting in mind, which basically ensures where your dreams will go. Apparently this