Skip to main content

Great expectations rarely deliver.


The Great House Hunt has stalled slightly. *lol* We viewed the two properties in Eastcote on Saturday, with slightly disappointing results.

The first of the two was the one I was most excited about, as it boasted a large garden, a conservatory, and three, count them, THREE bedrooms. It would have afforded us the space to dedicate the smallest of the rooms to my burgeoning craft supplies and sewing machine, and still leave a proper guest room for visitors to the House of Gabs. The garden was a blank canvas, completely undeveloped and waiting for a loving touch to bring it to life.

Upon viewing, we discovered that the bedrooms all contained moldy window frames, rotting door frames, shredded carpet edges and dodgy paint features. Opening the bathroom door revealed bubbling lino on the floor, a buckling tub surround, and imminent tile collapse in the shower. The conservatory's sealant was dangling around every pane of glass, its foundation was crumbling, and the garden was smaller than the pictures portrayed it. Basically, it could have been a great property if we had the time and money to completely gut the place and start from scratch. Himself says no... *insert open mouthed cough here*

All I could think while we were stumbling from room to room was, haven't these people seen House Doctor? *lol* Mold is easily cleared up with an application of bleach and good circulation of air. The bedrooms were cluttered, one of which obviously belonged to a teenage boy as it proudly ensconced a bar in one corner and had stolen road signs in another, none of them smelled particularly fresh, and the master bedroom had peeling wallpaper and ivy growing over the single window, blocking out most of the natural light. Himself made the point that as it has three bedrooms, the listing price is only as low as it is (£288,000...!!!) because of the state of the place, and it's obviously a single-parent family from the set-up. She likely just didn't have time between shifts as a policewoman to sort the house out. I sympathise, honestly, but that house just wasn't going to happen for us.

The second isn't even really worth too much discussion due to its general ordinariness. We left there, and the only thing we could say about it was that it was better than the first. *lol* It didn't create emotion or opinion for either of us, it was just ... there. So, another no.

I'm sure we'll find the right place to build our lives in a more permanent way, it'll just take more than a day's worth of looking. But then, anything worth having should take time and effort. I'm desperately looking forward to decorating new surroundings, to having properly appointed space for my budding Etsy business, to bringing family over and having enough room to put them up comfortably, and all of these will make the finding of the right place for us even happier.

Until then, we'll tick along happily in the current House of Gabs, watching tv scrunched up on our battered red couch, me crocheting and Himself unwinding the wool as I progress, both of us attempting to chase the moggies away from eating the strands before they can be turned into a blanket. Homely contentedness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The real deal.

So, I thought I'd been having cravings for the last couple of weeks because I've been eating loads of tuna and pasta, seemed like that was all I wanted to eat. Tuna sandwiches with a cup of tomato soup to dip them in, and egg noodle pasta for some reason. That is, until Monday night. Monday night, Himself called me on his way home from work as usual and asked if we needed anything (again, as usual). I said no, that I'd already been to the store but I wasn't really hungry anyway, and that I'd see him when he got home. I settled in with the cats on the couch and started flicking channels, getting the girlie TV out of the way so that Himself wouldn't have to suffer through it when he got home... Half an hour later, it struck. All of a sudden, out of the blue, I was starving. It wasn't the usual "go rifle through the kitchen until I happen upon something that looks edible" hunger. It was specific, overpowering, CRAVING hunger. What did I want,

Lazy weekend.

Bliss. Sun, moglets, sun, loads of good food, sun, and Himself. Good combo, let me tell you. We let the moggies out sans leads for the first time on Thursday (sporting their new collars and tags, and freshly dosed with flea drops), just for about an hour to see how they handled it. Both of them tore headlong into the flowerbeds in search of new smells and the occasional bug to eat. On Friday I left the back doors of the conservatory flung open to let the seriously amazing weather in and the felines out. This turned into me sitting in the conservatory for longer than I'd care to admit, book discarded to one side because watching them chase bees, butterflies and each other was more amusing. Saturday morning dawned clear and sunny, so I hied myself down to the conservatory (as I woke up around half six and thought Himself might rather sleep a LITTLE longer...) for a bowl of muesli, a cup of peppermint tea, some reading and yet more book neglecting as I watched the lunatics conti

Dreams and other nocturnal habits.

I've always been a dreamer, in the literal sense. From a very young age I've been able to remember my dreams, and once I started a dream one night and finished it the next. This sounds great, and I've had some seriously fabulous nocturnal journeys through time and space, but on the flip side, not all dreams are good ones. I've had some proper toe-curling nightmares, and some of the worst ones have been in my adult years. The reason this is on my mind particularly right now is that I had a pretty gnarly one night before last, and during yesterday's aforementioned pestering phone call to my sister I told her about it. She told me that her boyfriend had been doing a little reading about dreams in general, and had researched (and actually put into practice) a tactic of dreaming deliberately. The research he found described the way to consciously go to sleep with a certain event or setting in mind, which basically ensures where your dreams will go. Apparently this