Skip to main content

May you live in interesting times.


Sometimes my pictures have nothing to do with the blog topic, I just like them. Seeing as how it's my blog, I reckon it's allowed. *grin*

I'm all tucked up in bed with the laptop, fresh from the bath in which I finally dunked Kit to the waist due to her pain-in-the-butt tendency to stand on my knees like they're islands in the bubbles. She and Sophie have deigned to settle on the end of the bed, having migrated back and forth between the bedroom (where I'm typing away listening to Ingrid Michaelson) and the sitting room (where Himself's watching "Ice Road Truckers" on his laptop) for the last hour. I say "settle", they're actually getting a little violent with each other as Kit fights against Sophie's tender ministrations.

Please forgive my tedious stream of consciousness, I feel crap. The younger of the two hoodlums I keep has had a fever and a nasty cough for the last week, and has the unfortunate tendency to cough without covering his mouth. This tendency isn't moderated by any situation, including the scenario where his face is three inches from yours. I was the unfortunate recipient of said face-cough, and now have a head full of congestion and a body full of weariness. That's right, BFG, weariness. I feel weary. I may just put the back of my hand against my forehead and swoon. So there.

The combination of the little'un's time off school and my insistence that fresh air is good for you if it's not rainy and cold out has resulted in a few truly amusing moments. Tonight's comment about how he might go out to play football with his brother was met by "you're ill, there will be no football." This was rejoined by "oh yeah, I forgot I was ill." This is only topped by the limited horticultural knowledge of a six year old boy. Poor kid, I feel for him having a mother AND a nanny that are green-thumbed, but as I am didactic at base level he's the unwitting pupil to a constant streaming lecture about every plant or tree we walk past. This afternoon saw us sitting outside the nine year old's school waiting for him to finish classes, and I pointed out a prettily blooming cyclamen. He says, and I quote, "do they throw up on lemons?"... Colour me confused. It took me a good thirty seconds to see it phonetically in my head. *sigh*

I feel like I should mention the concert the BFG took me to for my birthday. I was going to write a dedicated post, and the right words/motivation kept escaping me. I like to chalk that up to the fact that it was simply the most perfect gig and I could never verbally do it justice, so I let it be. I will say this, though. We like Dave Matthews Band. Hell, we like Dave Matthews, but due to the fact that my grandmother reads this blog we'll keep it clean. *grin* DMB is an experience. This is proven by the following: the BFG had never listened to DMB and bought me the tickets strictly because he knows I lurve them. He accompanied me simply because that was the nature of the gift, it was an activity for us to undertake together. By the time the concert was drawing to a close, he was on his feet with the rest of us lunatics, clapping and jamming out, and has since determined to beg, borrow or steal the band's entire back catalogue. This is the magic of Dave. So, BFG, this one's for you. *raising imaginary glass of whiskey* Thanks for a perfect night, they're few and far between and should be seized. Feel that? That's me seizing. *grin*

Is it just me, or has the word "seize" ceased to look like a real word? Seize. Seize. Seize. Yeah, it's lost all meaning.

My sickie body is flagging, I'm going to close the laptop and read myself to sleep. Terry Pratchett, here we come. Strange dreams due to Rincewind (the person, not the cheese) and his Luggage will undoubtedly follow shortly after. Bring it on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The real deal.

So, I thought I'd been having cravings for the last couple of weeks because I've been eating loads of tuna and pasta, seemed like that was all I wanted to eat. Tuna sandwiches with a cup of tomato soup to dip them in, and egg noodle pasta for some reason. That is, until Monday night. Monday night, Himself called me on his way home from work as usual and asked if we needed anything (again, as usual). I said no, that I'd already been to the store but I wasn't really hungry anyway, and that I'd see him when he got home. I settled in with the cats on the couch and started flicking channels, getting the girlie TV out of the way so that Himself wouldn't have to suffer through it when he got home... Half an hour later, it struck. All of a sudden, out of the blue, I was starving. It wasn't the usual "go rifle through the kitchen until I happen upon something that looks edible" hunger. It was specific, overpowering, CRAVING hunger. What did I want,

Lazy weekend.

Bliss. Sun, moglets, sun, loads of good food, sun, and Himself. Good combo, let me tell you. We let the moggies out sans leads for the first time on Thursday (sporting their new collars and tags, and freshly dosed with flea drops), just for about an hour to see how they handled it. Both of them tore headlong into the flowerbeds in search of new smells and the occasional bug to eat. On Friday I left the back doors of the conservatory flung open to let the seriously amazing weather in and the felines out. This turned into me sitting in the conservatory for longer than I'd care to admit, book discarded to one side because watching them chase bees, butterflies and each other was more amusing. Saturday morning dawned clear and sunny, so I hied myself down to the conservatory (as I woke up around half six and thought Himself might rather sleep a LITTLE longer...) for a bowl of muesli, a cup of peppermint tea, some reading and yet more book neglecting as I watched the lunatics conti

Dreams and other nocturnal habits.

I've always been a dreamer, in the literal sense. From a very young age I've been able to remember my dreams, and once I started a dream one night and finished it the next. This sounds great, and I've had some seriously fabulous nocturnal journeys through time and space, but on the flip side, not all dreams are good ones. I've had some proper toe-curling nightmares, and some of the worst ones have been in my adult years. The reason this is on my mind particularly right now is that I had a pretty gnarly one night before last, and during yesterday's aforementioned pestering phone call to my sister I told her about it. She told me that her boyfriend had been doing a little reading about dreams in general, and had researched (and actually put into practice) a tactic of dreaming deliberately. The research he found described the way to consciously go to sleep with a certain event or setting in mind, which basically ensures where your dreams will go. Apparently this