Skip to main content

Bleak times, but sunny weather ahead.

I've gone three weeks without work. Obviously, it's a temporary situation arising from my last employers cutting my notice period short, and my new job starts in a week, but it's been very strange. I've had fits and spurts of manic activity, dismantling and bleaching the washing machine or going on my hands and knees to use the cat hair attachment on the hoover to do the whole house. These have been interspersed with hours of lying on the couch, watching crap telly and trying not to cry. Depressing, eh? *lol*

I think part of it has to do with the fact that my last employers are telling all and sundry that I slandered them while I was still in their employ, and have lost me a lot of one-off work in the process. To stop them, I'd have to sue them, and having just dodged one court proceeding I'm not so eager to rush headlong into another. I find it ironic to say the least that they've slandered me so eagerly while claiming I've done the same to them and yet they see nothing wrong with this picture. I think it's fairly hysterical that anyone could believe anything they're saying due to the fact that being a nanny relies heavily on word of mouth references and I like to think I'm more intelligent than to shoot myself in the professional foot so thoroughly as to have said horrible things about any family I worked for to their friends.

I know, there's nothing I can do about it and the best thing to do would be to put it out of my mind entirely. Easier said than done. It's always stuck in my craw when people have incorrect opinions about me and what I'm about, and having had people tell whoppers about me in the past it's not exactly the first time I've had to deal with it. It just never gets any easier. It's great that I'm going to finally get paid what I'm due and won't have to go to court to get it. It just sucks that now they'll be telling all their friends that I extorted money from them, because that's exactly what they'll be saying.

That said, Himself has been absolutely fabulous during the whole process. He's been supportive and helpful and patient, and I couldn't ask for a better partner in life. And as I have two days worth of work this week and start properly next week, there's light at the end of the tunnel for my psyche. Bring on the sunny weather.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lazy weekend.

Bliss. Sun, moglets, sun, loads of good food, sun, and Himself. Good combo, let me tell you. We let the moggies out sans leads for the first time on Thursday (sporting their new collars and tags, and freshly dosed with flea drops), just for about an hour to see how they handled it. Both of them tore headlong into the flowerbeds in search of new smells and the occasional bug to eat. On Friday I left the back doors of the conservatory flung open to let the seriously amazing weather in and the felines out. This turned into me sitting in the conservatory for longer than I'd care to admit, book discarded to one side because watching them chase bees, butterflies and each other was more amusing. Saturday morning dawned clear and sunny, so I hied myself down to the conservatory (as I woke up around half six and thought Himself might rather sleep a LITTLE longer...) for a bowl of muesli, a cup of peppermint tea, some reading and yet more book neglecting as I watched the lunatics conti

The real deal.

So, I thought I'd been having cravings for the last couple of weeks because I've been eating loads of tuna and pasta, seemed like that was all I wanted to eat. Tuna sandwiches with a cup of tomato soup to dip them in, and egg noodle pasta for some reason. That is, until Monday night. Monday night, Himself called me on his way home from work as usual and asked if we needed anything (again, as usual). I said no, that I'd already been to the store but I wasn't really hungry anyway, and that I'd see him when he got home. I settled in with the cats on the couch and started flicking channels, getting the girlie TV out of the way so that Himself wouldn't have to suffer through it when he got home... Half an hour later, it struck. All of a sudden, out of the blue, I was starving. It wasn't the usual "go rifle through the kitchen until I happen upon something that looks edible" hunger. It was specific, overpowering, CRAVING hunger. What did I want,

Sprogging.

That's right, folks. The Browns are up the duff. *grin* Shocked? That's okay, so are we. Seems I'm actually related to my mother (who got pregnant while on the pill more than once). Apparently I'm four or five weeks, which may seem like jumping the gun announcement-wise, but I think it'll be interesting to catalogue the changes to my body for future reference... you know, in case in a year or two I forget how miserable I was and decide we need another, I'll have a reminder of what it was like the first time... Heh, just kidding. At least, for now. Physical symptoms aren't too bad at the moment. I've not had any morning sickness (touch wood), but my appetite is very odd. Half the time I'm starving to death, half the time I'm not hungry at all (like now, while Paul is eating lunch and I'm having a glass of orange and peach juice). I've got low level cramps pretty constantly, and it feels like there's a fishhook in my belly but